Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Getting Ready For Thanksgiving Dinner....and Thanking God for ALL Things.


For Thanksgiving we all bring a dish to pass, my sister, Chellie requested I bring "snowball salad". Usually I make that for Christmas dinner, but I guess since it's snowing out right now, that it's pretty apropos that I am making it tonite and bringing it tomorrow for our feast. That is, IF there is any left after this turkey gets done with it... *L*

I roasted a turkey today too... so we'd have leftovers to eat. For me, the leftovers are the best part of the feast, and since there are over 55 - 60 of us at our Thanksgiving dinner, there usually aren't many leftovers. I love the smell of a turkey cooking, and our house smells SOOO good right now... yummm!!

Tonight at the Thanksgiving (eve) Church Service, Father Bill asked in his sermon some questions that I think we all need to use for some self-examination of our lives, and how we give thanks...if, infact, we do give thanks at all?
He shared how we all are quick to ask God for help in this or that, ask for prayers for those we love who are sick, or without a job, in trouble, need, etc. But, how often do we just thank God for ALL things? How much time do we spend in thanking God in our daily prayers, how much time in adoration and praise? It's probably true that the majority of my prayers, on some days, are more about asking for this or that, rather than just giving thanks for what I have, and giving thanks for Who God IS.

I hope that I can remember to always give thanks to God for ALL things, and extend my thankfulness in actions, not just words, to help others in ways that they too will know and say, "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, His love endures forever!"

No comments: