Saturday, July 10, 2010

"On The Level" ..... found object assemblage


This assemblage piece "On The Level" is based on the scripture passage from Isaiah 28:17;
"I will make justice the measuring line, And righteousness the level.." (New American Standard Bible Version)

Other Bible versions of this passage from Isaiah talks about the "plumb line", in place of the word "level". Being "plumb" is a construction term that refers to being straight up and down. A "plumb line" is a string with a weight on the end. When you hold the string at the top, the weight makes the line hang down straight. Today most people use a "level" instead of a plumb line when constructing a building to insure that the walls are level.




I've had this old wooden level for a long time, and God has laid this passage on my heart for some reason. Maybe it's because construction terms in scripture are close to my heart because of our own construction business. Or maybe with all the construction plans being made at our Church it's been on my mind a lot as well? And most likely, it's because God is trying to remind me of where I need to stay in my walk with Him and with others too.

When I was looking up the phrase, "on the level" , I found this definition: "..honest, sincere, straightforward; above board, on the square, on the up and up, square, straight. A level (usually with a bubble gauge) was used to prove horizontals in foundations and floorings, etc. The level indicated that things were as they should be. So, "on the level" means a person is as he/she should be, and that they are truthful."



I love the verse in Isaiah 28:16 too... "...this is what the Sovereign LORD says: "See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who trusts will never be dismayed."
One of the first praise songs I came to love and sing over and over from many years ago was one that spoke of this .. "I lay in Zion, a foundation of stone, a tried stone, a precious cornerstone..." It's awesome when God brings those memories of way back when I was first "in love" with Him, when I first recognized & acknowldedged, with praise and thanksgiving, the real sacrifice God made for ME. Constructing this assemblage was one of those times of remembering my first love with God. PTL!!



The hands in my assemblage piece also reminded me a bit of Michangelo's painting "The Creation of Adam" where God's hand is reaching down to Adam and Adam's hand is reaching up to God. A reminder to me as well, to always reach for God, for God is always there reaching for ME. Thank you Lord!

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Wonderful assemblage, Roberta. Lovely how you tied it to scripture, too.

Name: Roberta said...

Thank you Maureen!! xoxox