Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Boy Jesus, A Foreshadowing ShadowBox (assemblage, found object shadowbox)



It's been a busy week or so... lots of preparations for Christmas, and getting ready for year end things, bookkeeping wise, too.

One of the gifts I was going to give my friend, Deb, who I work with at Church, is this shadowbox. I love this picture, it's one I found in a large print in an old frame at Good Will. The original was about 18 x 22 inches. I took it to a photo place and had many images of various sizes made so I could use them in future assemblages and framed for gifts.



This one is in an 8 x 10 gold frame that I touched up with dots of a shimmery gold paint. The front of the shadowbox frame is from an old clock, and John made a back box that I painted & stained to match, glued the framed photo in place, then attached the frame and the box together with both glue and brackets.

The marble globe-looking piece fit well with what the boy Jesus is holding in his hand, and I added the crown at the top of it. The cross I painted gold and added the brass crucifix to it. Inside is also a small votive candle holder.

I gave this to my friend this morning, having spent most of the night finishing it and hoping the glue, epoxy, paint & stain would be dry in time... it was and Deb loved it! I do TOO, it was hard to not keep it for myself! *S*

3 comments:

Robin Arnold said...

It's just beautiful and touching, the thought and care you put into this piece. I would so love to watch you work some time, or maybe work together. Maybe someday when I'm visiting home? I still think you need to visit my dad's garage. It's a wonderland of stuff. So is the basement. Merry Christmas to you and your family. I am blessed to have connected with you again.

Maureen said...

Wonderful piece.

Merry Christmas. I'll look forward to continuing to follow you and your work in the New Year.

Name: Roberta said...

Thanks Robin, let me know when you visit back here again! I bet my basement looks alot like your dad's..*L* Merry Christmas to you and Bob and the family, it's been fun catching up with you all on FB!!


Thanks Maureen, a very Merry Christmas to you too, and I look forward to following your work as well! xoxo