Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Factotum (assemblage, found object art)




fac·to·tum (fāk-tō'təm)
n. An employee or assistant who serves in a wide range of capacities.

[Medieval Latin factōtum : Latin fac, imperative of facere, to do; see dhē- in Indo-European roots + Latin tōtum, everything, from neuter of tōtus, all; see teutā- in Indo-European roots.]


I guess you could say that's me, a factotum. My work and my life involves many different things, and has many aspects to it....from small trivial, menial things & events, all the way to some large, important decisions & responsibilities & sometimes it just seems like it gets to be too much to handle.

At times I feel like I am multi-tasking in too many areas of life, juggling too much, and dropping the ball a lot of times. This assemblage piece is sort of a reflection of that inner turmoil that often doesn't show on the outside.

"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139: 7, 9-10, 23-24)

No comments: