Monday, October 26, 2009

End of Month Crunch & Warhol-ing


The last week of each month is always a killer... end of month bookkeeping to finish, newsletter to finish, transmit online, then pick up & mail out, among the usual work stuff and housework stuff (usually no time for creating art during the last week of each month). I'm trying to get a lot of the work done today, so tomorrow I can go "Warhol-ing"! I will be heading to the Milwaukee Art Museum tomorrow afternoon with daughter Kasey and SIL, Lisa, maybe meeting one of my sisters there too? We're going to see the Andy Warhol exhibit. Can't wait!! Now if I can just stay focused on getting the newsletter done tonite!



=====================

For your reading pleasure... more info on the Milwaukee Art Museum Warhol Exhibit which is there until January 3, 2010:

Andy Warhol: The Last Decade is the first U.S. museum survey exhibition to explore the work that this seminal American artist produced during the final years of his life. Warhol entered a period of renewed vigor and enthusiasm in the 1980s that resulted in what was arguably the most productive period of his career.

Premiering at the Milwaukee Art Museum, the exhibition includes approximately 55 works lent by private collections and institutions such as the Museum of Modern Art, Baltimore Museum of Art, and Andy Warhol Museum, Pittsburgh. Along with an introduction to Warhol, it is divided into thematic sections based on significant Warhol series: abstract works; collaborations (featuring Jean-Michel Basquiat); black-and-white ads; works surrounding death and religion; self-portraits; camouflage patterns; and a concluding section of the artist's Last Supper series.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

I saw a marvelous huge survey of Warhol's work in Toronto a couple of years ago. I had never spent so much time as I did then looking at Warhols. Seeing his work at Dia:Beacon in Beacon, N.Y., is also a pleasure. I hope you enjoy the Milwaukee show.

P.S. A friend of mine, a very talented artist who at one time built stretchers in New York for artists who were big-names used to dumpster-dive to "score" what got thrown out at the Factory. He has a wonderful little piece by Warhol and loves telling the story of how he got it. It is original.

Name: Roberta said...

Maureen... Oh my gosh!! How lucky for your friend that he owns an original Warhol! I've done some dumpster diving myself (but just to get things for my assemblages mostly from construction job sites, but I will have to consider doing that around some artists' homes that I admire..haha! *L* I'd probably get arrested!

I have seen some of Warhol's pieces when we visited Paris about 19 years ago... at the Georges Pompidou Centre, loved see ALL the art there! I look forward to seeing the exhibit in Milwaukee tomorrow.. hoping I can take a few photos, but betting it won't be allowed?