Sunday, October 14, 2012

I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...

Psalm 139: 13-16..."For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you, when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.  Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

I always like to connect current events/holidays/happenings to scripture passages.  Today in Sunday School, we did that too.  Since I've been making bones in my spare time for the Trunk or Treat Event (scroll back at some of my blog posts), I thought it would be a fun lesson as well for the kids.

The above passage, as well as the one from Ezekiel 37:1-14, where the prophet visits a valley of dry bones, and hears God say He will put His Spirit in them and they will live and not just be dead bones. God does indeed give us life after death, a free gift, and all we need to do is accept it!

Based on those passages, we talked about costumes we've seen people wearing at Halloween.  The kids had fun sharing the ones they'd be wearing, and we brain-stormed others we sometimes see during this time of year.  One such costume are sketetons.
We talked about x-rays and how doctors use them and can see inside our bodies, to see our bones... almost like God, who seems to have a special x-ray vision... "Your eyes saw my unformed body ..."
So we made x-rays of our hands, arms and feet for fun (traced hands with white crayon on black paper, then added q-tip bones inside) ...  and we talked more about how wonderfully made God made each of us!


 Treats for today were.... what else... bones!  (pretzel sticks, with mini marshmallows on each end, dipped in white chocolate).   A fun lesson, good for Halloween time, hoping to get kids to recall these passages whenever they see skeletons now.


No comments: