Sunday, August 12, 2007

Penny From Heaven...

Yesterday, while I was straightening up John's bed in the dining room/temporary bedroom, I found this penny laying on the sheet in the middle of the bed. I thought it was odd because John hasn't been wearing any shorts or shirts with pockets that he would have lost a penny when he laid down. And I know I haven't had any coins or change in my pockets at all either. I've changed the sheets just recently, and there was no penny anywhere. Soooo, where did this penny come from??

I mentioned it to John and asked him if anyone came to visit when I was gone and he was sleeping and maybe leaned over him and it dropped out of their pocket? Nope... no one was here when he was sleeping.  I joked that maybe old Mrs. Merrick (previous owner of our home long ago, and someone who, in her old age, had to use the diningroom as her bedroom too), that maybe she left him a gift? *lol*

This morning, when John woke up, he called for me to come in, and told me to try to lay down next to him and see how much the mattress would move and hurt his back... it hardly moved at all... so we had a few minutes to snuggle, not real closely, because his hip and leg are still sore too, and also he is "plugged in" to the bone fusion stimulator thing and it comes unplugged easily if he lays on it wrong or turns the wrong way. But we were talking about that penny... where on earth did it come from? After thinking on it awhile, I said, " It must be a penny from heaven!" *S* John seemed to agree, "Maybe so", he said, "but too bad it wasn't a winning lottery ticket instead! " *L*
Deep down we were both kind of skeptical, ... "Sure, sure, a penny from heaven, uh huh, right! *L* But we had no other explanation of how that penny ended up on his bed?

I mentioned that on the penny, it says "In God We Trust", maybe this was something we needed to remember, in and through all this, TRUST IN GOD and His provisions.. John has a long way to go yet with his healing, but we've seen a whole lot of progress as well. He is worried about the business too (me too), and the possibility of more people pulling out of jobs they were going to have the company do this Fall and Winter... but, in and through all of this, and the plans we need to make to help compensate, we are thankful for this small sign we are believing is from God...and we will remember to keep that trust in God, the lover of our souls.
Words from "Pennies From Heaven" a 1936 American popular song with music by Arthur Johnston and words by Johnny Burke. It was introduced by Bing Crosby in the 1936 film of the same name.
A long time ago

A million years BC
The best things in life
Were absolutely free.
But no one appreciated
A sky that was always blue.
And no one congratulated
A moon that was always new.
So it was planned that they would vanish now and then
And you must pay before you get them back again.
That's what storms were made for
And you shouldn't be afraid for
Every time it rains it rains
Pennies from heaven.
Don't you know each cloud contains
Pennies from heaven.
You'll find yor fortune falling
All over town.
Be sure that your umbrella is upside down.
Trade them for a package of sunshine and flowers.
If you want the things you love
You must have showers.
So when you hear it thunder
Don't run under a tree.
There'll be pennies from heaven for you and me


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Roberta, this is such a "God-cidence"!! I've been wanting to talk to you to see if you had any assemblage ideas for a lucky penny I found on July 30th. That little baby from church that I am going to be the baptism sponsor for...the whole pregnancy was so touch and go and filled with problems. Then he finally made it to C section day...the 30th and I was waiting to hear any news. I got a call to go let someone into church and when I got there, I found a penny in the parking lot and right away saw "In God We Trust" and just felt at peace that everything would be ok. And it was...a perfectly healthy baby! So in addition to a baptism gift, I wanted to make maybe a shell or something with the found penny in it and a poem or verse. I told Fr. that I wanted to do that and I haven't had a chance to ask you about it. How funny that you found a penny too! Almost as good as the finding of "bread"! Deb