Friday, March 14, 2008

"Silent Snow" Assemblage


Back on February 6th (see my blog post from then too), we had a big snow storm (one of many this winter!),and I had mentioned in my blog post that it reminded me of the story we read in High School Literature Class called "Silent Snow, Secret Snow".

It was a story of a boy's descent into depression. This is my reflection on that. The picture in the background is one taken during that storm of my street. The girl in the box is one I found at Good Will and reflects well that Silent Snow depression. There is a fly on the window frame (upper right) and on the right side wall is a picture of "The Scream", something the girl is probably doing silently inside her self. The snow is a metaphor for the depression that closes in around her, hence the snow shown inside is starting to overtake her & bury her - a hand reaches out from the pile of snow.


On the top is a glass snowflake paperweight..she is weighted down by her problems that seem to be overwhelming. The base is made of some glass snowflakes as well. (formerly candle holders). And typewriter letters spell out "silent snow" on the outside rim of the box.

3 comments:

poetdragon said...

a fine piece.. you capture both the shortstory and its meanings and the artistyou as well..hubba hubba

Name: Roberta said...

Why thank you poetdragon, thank you very much! *S*... *LMBO @ hubba hubba.. hahaha... why do I get the feeling I know you or something? But I thank you for the nice comment nonetheless.

Name: Roberta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.