Thursday, March 20, 2008

Squeaky-Clean Feet & Prayer Vigil at the Altar of Repose


Tonite was our Maundy Thursday Service or Mandatum...The word Maundy is derived from the Latin mandatum, which means "command" or "commandment", Jesus’ new commandment, or mandatum, was that we love one another as He has loved us - which was to the point of death. Part of the service in many churches includes doing some of the things that Jesus and His disciples did on the evening before Jesus was crucified. Jesus washed his disciples feet, and we wash each others feet during the service too. It's a humbling experience.... and so, now I have squeaky clean feet..*G*

Tonite also we have a prayer vigil at the Altar of Repose in our Chapel. It's been set up like the Garden of Gethsemane might have been... See Matthew 26:36-44:

"Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to His disciples, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." And He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be grieved and distressed. Then He said to them, "My soul is deeply grieved, to the point of death; remain here and keep watch with Me." And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as Thou wilt." And He came to the disciples and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, "So, you men could not keep watch with Me for one hour? "Keep watching and praying, that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." He went away again a second time and prayed, saying, "My Father, if this cannot pass away unless I drink it, Thy will be done." And again He came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. And He left them again, and went away and prayed a third time, saying the same thing once more...."

I signed up for 11:00 - Midnight, and will take some pictures when I'm up there too. It's always a beautiful, special time for meditation and being in a sacred place with God.
*ADDED PICTURE OF THE CHAPEL FROM LAST NITE:


In the room before the Prayer Chapel I have been able to set up some of my assemblages in an interactive prayer station experience for people to walk through before going in to pray... I hope that it also is a blessing to those who experience it.

No comments: