Saturday, March 21, 2009

Rejections... or at the least, lack of acceptance...


So, I've entered a few Calls to Artists in the past few months, and have not been accepted by any of them... from what I've heard, this is very common in emerging artists of many venues... when I looked online for some inspiration or consoling I found this which I thought would be good to share...
From Karen Wynn...

"To combat the frustration of rejection I have come up with a simple plan which is the A.R.T. of rejection. A.R.T. stands for Analyze, Revitalize, and Target. I hope this will help anyone in the writing or art world and also in every day life rejections.

Analyze: Okay, you have had your project rejected. Analyze why it was rejected. Make an attempt to figure out why. Is your grammar or style right, is this the right market, did the editors just have bad days. If you have been rejected over three times start to analyze the situation. You may come up with an excellent explanation.

Revitalize: Rejection leads to low self esteem, self doubt, and self pity. It can destroy you if you allow yourself to fall pray. So when you feel really down and disgusted about the form (B.S.) letters take a break. Relax and enjoy yourself, life is to short to worry and fret. Give yourself some time to get back on your feet. It may take two days or two years to continue with your project. Do not let rejection bring you down. Take time to heal.

Target: The last point to rejection is to target your project. Know your market, explore all avenues to getting your piece of work out in the public. Network, meet people who can help you acheive your dream, find an art professor or writers group, and so on. It is important to Target your work to an interesting customer. "


So, guess I continue from here with those good points... I am using some of my assemblages in a prayer station chapel on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday at our Church, and I am thankful that I can use the gifts God has given me in ways that I hope will glorify Him....and I guess I just keep on keeping on...

2 comments:

SUZAN BUCKNER said...

Roberta--I really hope that rejection doesn't hurt your self esteem. Always believe in your art!! You just have to find the right niche for it.

I was rejected by an owner of a mixed media group, and I felt bad for about A DAY..then I realized that the person that rejected me had about as much talent as a dead frog.

Just don't give up, and if you are targeting one type of venue, try another. Have you done any local festivals or fairs?? Are you out in the real world, or strictly online?

Your assemblages have grown so much in the last year, and they are wonderful!!! Keep trying!
Hugs!
Suzan

Name: Roberta said...

(((Suzan))) thank you for the kind words of encouragement. It means a lot to me, esp. coming from someone so talented in many ways.
I'll keep on keeping on, haven't been able to get out my art stuff much lately, and that may be part of my frustration too. Hope to be back into it and exploring other places in the near future..thanks again!! xoxox
Roberta