Monday, June 3, 2013

Rhubarb Sugar Cookies with Rhubarb Sauce Glaze Experiment

I had seen a post for rhubarb cookies on Pinterest, but decided to try to make some with ingredients I had handy.  I chopped up some rhubarb, smaller pieces for cookies, added part of a package of raspberry jello sugar to it to give it a little more color and flavor.  I put the mixture in the microwave for about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes, it softened up the rhubarb some and cooked it a little too.  Then I drained it.
 


I had a package of Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix, all you do is add a stick of butter and an egg to it... so, I made it according to package directions.

I preheated the oven to 375 degrees, added the chopped, drained rhubarb to the cookie dough, and dropped onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet in small spoonfuls.



I already had rhubarb sauce I had made, so I added powdered sugar to thicken it into a glaze. (If I was doing this from scratch, I wouldn't have already pre-sweetened the rhubarb sauce since the powdered sugar sweetens it well.)

I baked the cookies for about 12 - 13 minutes or so at 375, then let them cool off and added the glaze to the tops of them.  It took a few hours for the glaze to dry enough to not be sticky... but I couldn't wait to try one... they turned out REALLY delicious!  They are very moist, even after sitting out uncovered all day long.  I think if I had put them into a sealed container they'd get too mushy or soft, so if I was going to make them for an event, I'd probaby store them in a paper bag or use them the same day.

This is one experiment I will do again, and again!!  YUMMMM!!



No comments: