Monday, November 5, 2007

Sunday Saints ...or are we Sinners? *G*

" I sing a song of the saints of God, patient and brave and true, who toiled and fought and lived and died for the Lord they loved and knew. And one was a doctor, and one was a queen, and one was a shepherdess on the green; they were all of them saints of God, and I mean, God helping, to be one too."

check out the tune & more verses http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh712.sht

So yesterday was All Saint's Sunday, a celebration of those people who we consider saints. We were asked to come dressed as a saint of our own choosing...either a modern day one or one from long ago. We are part of the processional coming into church as the above song is song, and then at the sermon time we each have to tell a little about the saint we were representing.

As of Saturday morning, I still didn't know what Saint I'd come as, but then I received a necklace I had ordered in the mail from a wonderful artist.. Jane Wynn http://idolatrieartist.typepad.com/
It's called the Eye of Protection... and I LOVE IT!!
I wanted to wear it and show it off immediately, so I decided to try to use it in my costume of a saint for Sunday. At first I was thinking I'd come as Saint Michael the Archangel...who is said to be an angel of protection against the malice and snare of the evil one and evil forces. That was my plan and I was happy with it....BUT, then I decided to just google "saints and eyes" and lo and behold I came up with St. Lucy .... she is often used as the patron saint for the blind. There is a legend claiming that in response to a suitor who admired her beautiful eyes, "she cut them out and sent them to him, asking to be left in peace thereafter." Lucy was represented in Gothic art holding a dish with two eyes on it. The legend concludes with God restoring Lucy's eyes. Kinda gruesome eh? But, I decided to use that and my eye necklace would fit right in... I also had a bowl of eyeballs (chocolate ones) to pass out to the kids... heh heh.
Anyway... I had fun with it and had rave reviews on my new necklace...Thanks to Jane for the wonderful jewelry and the inspiration for the Saint. *S*

No comments: