Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Lent must be all about SOUP.....


Did you know that if you google "LENT IS ABOUT SOUP", there are 901,000 sites you could visit that have something to do with that??

I betcha that if you were able to go to ANY church during Lent, you'd find they had soup to eat for many of their Lenten meals. There are Wednesday Soup Lunches & Devotions; Lenten Evening Soup Supper/Video Series; Soup/Stations Fridays; Soup & Salad Fund Raisers; Meatless Soup Recipes for Lent; My Big Fat Greek Lentil Soup; Soup and Sustenance; Soup Kitchens for the Hungry & Homeless; and more! I even read where the Greeks eat a soup made from lambs' innards, magritsa, on Easter Sunday...ewwwwwwwwww!!

It seems our Lenten Journey would be stiffled if not for SOUP! Must make Campbells Soup stock holders happy, eh? *L*

Heck, there is so much soup consumed during Lent I imagine the Three Bears would have not only been complaining about their porridge, "It's too hot! It's too cold! It's just right!", but also complaining, "What?? Soup/Porridge AGAIN??"

Remember this from your childhood?
Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold
Pease porridge in a pot, nine days old.
Some like it hot, some like it cold.
Some like it in the pot, nine days old.


Most people are familiar with the age-old nursery rhyme, and many have wondered, “Just what exactly is pease porridge?” For that matter, who would like the stuff after nine days in the pot? Not to mention perhaps having to eat it for 40 days during Lent! *L*

Pease porridge, was a form of split pea soup. In Britain and elsewhere, dried pease, or peas, were added along with seasonings to water and hung to simmer in a kettle over a fire. Vegetables were added as available, and sometimes the pease porridge was flavored with bacon or salt pork. At the end of the day, the pease porridge cooled and thickened, remaining in the pot to congeal. Eaten cold and thick the next morning, water and additional vegetables might be added, to thin out and extend the porridge for that day’s meals, and so on for the next day and the next and the next. It’s conceivable that the pease porridge in the pot would indeed be a few days old or more by the time it was finished off, or finally given up on and fed to the pigs, or thrown out when Lent ended.. *L*

I wonder if they got "free days" on Sundays in Lent and didn't hafta eat pease porridge then?? Things that go thru my mind...ha ha!

Anyway...now that I have self-examined soup this afternoon, while cooking soup for our Wed. Evening Lenten Series tonite at Church, I guess I should really focus on my own self examination and see why it is I do the things I do, or leave undone things I should get done, or I should go and reconcile myself to my "neighbor", and all those things I know would benefit not only myself, but those around me... Lord, in Your Mercy, hear my prayer.

1 comment:

sarvistree said...

Roberta,

My wife Lois and I often go to St Elizabeth Seton RC Church for their Friday evening fish dinners during Lent. We frequently join up with other couples from our Brethren Church. It just feels right!

Glen