Monday, June 14, 2010

Dumpster diving for organ parts....

Nooo, I am not dumpster diving behind a medical clinic... heh heh...

But I did dumpster dive last week in the Church dumpster.... since we are renovating many things there, one being the pipe organ, there was a pipe organ man there taking out old parts and tossing them so he could remove the pipe organ console to take away to be renovated. Sooo, of course I had to peek into the dumpster to see just what was tossed....

Father Bill had reminded me of the fact that the organ guy was tossing stuff and he knows me too well and figured I would want to grab some of those things to make something out of.... but I had forgot about it until about 8:30 p.m.... and thinking that the garbage man would come and empty the dumpster the next day, I got into some old clothes and headed up to the church. There was a massive piece of an old wooden something or other on top of all the other stuff, I had to prop it up on it's side so I could lean halfway over the dumpster to pull out the piece I thought looked interesting... but as I was teetering half in and half out of the dumpster, (which is inside a wooden enclosure, so no one was noticing my antics), I noticed that huge wooden piece starting to sway, ... yikes!!



Had it fallen, it would have taken me with it into the dumpster head first and no one would know that I was in there... John was heading upstairs to bed for the night when I left... the neighbors probably wouldn't hear my cries for help... all sorts of images were in my mind of how they would find me the next morning..*L*... but thankfully, I pushed myself out of the dumpster with the desired piece in hand before the other huge wooden piece fell down into the hole I'd created from taking out this "THING"...

This part of the organ has some old bellows (I think that's what they are?), interesting other parts too that are all screwed on...not sure how I'll use the piece or the parts, but it's on my front porch right now, and waiting for some inspiration ...and TIME, to be able to do something with it...

.... any ideas, anyone? ... I'd love to hear some....

No comments: