Saturday, August 28, 2010

Old Church Altar Rail ... before and after...


A few weeks ago I did some dumpster diving at the Church renovation dumpster and saved this old altar rail, that was around the pipe organ area to prevent people from falling into the sunken area that it was in. I think it will be a cool addition when I use some of my assemblages in exhibits or prayer station workshops ... it will kind of set aside an area as a sacred space. I spray painted the already distressed wood a cherry red, not coating the piece entirely, then sanded it down, and washed it off. After it dried I coated it all with a dark walnut stain. I like the red distressed look of it now.

Here are before, during, and after photos...



(after spray painting, before sanding it all down)


I may still spray a light coat of polycrylic on it when the stain dries more.. and then it's ready to be used!


No comments: