Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Start of Something .... I can feel it coming in the air tonite, O Lord..


"..I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord,
I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord.."
(I love this song)

I found a really COOL old trunk at GoodWill ... and I am thinking it would be very good to use with the many "war" memories...things I have found at various places, as well as friends who have given me war stuff, and many things from my father-in-law, Paul (who was in WWII in Iwo Jima).



I've just put a few of the things out to see how they might look in this old trunk and they aren't necessarily going to be displayed in this way. I didn't, however, pull out all the old photos, like the ones in this installation piece I did of Paul's war memories... I was thinking of putting more of these old war photos as the background in the trunk, but I'm not sure if I want to permanently afix them to the trunk. (maybe I should consider getting duplicates of the photos to do things with?)




At any rate... I am hoping to be able to use this trunk in awesome ways to bring awareness of the self-sacrifice that many veterans made for ALL of us!



I wish I had Paul's uniform to use in this art assemblage installation .. but it will be in a permanent display at a VFW museum in the San Antonio/New Braunfels area, and that is an honorable place for it too.

I would love to hear any ideas, helpful suggestions, etc. as I continue to explore possibilities with this..thanks!

3 comments:

Maureen said...

I can imagine you creating a really special assemblage with this trunk. I would use copies of pictures, though, not your originals. Looking forward to seeing what comes of this.

Unknown said...

This is going to turn out fantastic! I would definitely use copies of the photos though.. never use originals!!!

Name: Roberta said...

Thanks Carla and Maureen! I'll have to get several copies made, or scan them and make my own too...(now THAT would be a job - tons of photos!) I can't wait to transform it too.