Saturday, January 28, 2012

Apple Pie in an Apple on a Teacup Pie Stand

Tonite is the Fund Raiser for the Walworth County Emergency Shelter, held at Delavan Lanes... there will be bowling, music, food, basket drawings and auctions, bake sale, and more! All for a great cause!

I decided to try and make a cool Apple Pie in an Apple that I had found on Pinterest, along with making an individual pie stand for each one based on another idea I saw at Pinterest too.




Here are my photos from today... along with the recipe and some helpful tips I discovered along the way too.



I bought several varieties of apples, red and green (Granny Smith). I like the color of the red ones more after they are baked compared to the green apples after baked.




I used a knife and a melon baller to hollow out the apples... be sure not to pierce thru the skin of the apple and leave some of the apple on the sides because they can (and do) split sometimes.

I used the insides (minus the part with the core) along with peeling and slicing up other apples - THIN sliced for the insides. I also decided to add some craisins to my apple pies, which made it look pretty inside and tasted good too! Also added sugar, brown sugar, cinnamin too ...see the recipe for amounts (I did add a little more to my second batch of apples after taste testing the first batch, although if you are going to add a scoop of ice cream to the apple pies you probably wouldn't need to add more sugar.)




I bought the ready made pie crust, sliced it into strips and made the lattice crust for the top. On my second batch of apple pies, I sugared the pie crust a little because it tasted kind of bland, and it was much better.





Then put the apples into a baking pan or dish, add just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan/dish. Cover with tin foil and bake (375 degrees) for about 20 - 25 minutes....then take off the tinfoil and continue baking for about 20 - 25 minutes. I found if you overcook (trying to brown the crust more) that the apples split. (this is a picture of the split ones, and then one of the ones that remained intact)



After taking them out of the oven, I immediately took them out of the baking dish too and let them sit on a dry plate, just incase they would get soggy sitting in the water in the baking pan/dish.



During the baking time, I took the tea cups and saucers I had bought at Goodwill (for under a dollar), and used my Amazing Goop for craft projects, and glued the underside of the saucer to the bottom of the cup, and put books on them to weigh them down for an hour or two...then turned them upright and put the books on the tops of the saucers for another hour or two.



Then after the apple pies cooled, I added them to the saucer/teacup pie stands, wrapped them up and had a great bake sale item! (also good for a birthday gift for someone special!)









Oh, yeah, and here is what the delicious apple pies in an apple look like when you cut them in half... yummy!!












Here's the recipe I pinned at pinterest.

5 - 6 Apples... make sure they stand on their own.

1 teaspoon cinnamon (I used a bit more).

1/4 cup sugar (I used a little more).

1 tablespoon (heaping) of brown sugar.

piecrust - homemade or pre-made (I used premade).

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Step 1: Cut off the top of 4 apples and discard. Remove the inside of each apple with a spoon or melon baller very carefully, as to not puncture the peel.
If you’re a skilled interior apple excavator, salvage as much as you can so you can use it for Step 2.

Step 2: Remove skin from remaining apple(s) and slice very thinly. These apple pieces will give you the additional filling needed to fill the four apples you are baking.

Mix sliced apples with sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. If you prefer more or less cinnamon make adjustments as desired. Same goes for the sugar. I also added craisins ... not necessary, I just wanted to throw in something a bit different.
Scoop sliced apple mixture into hollow apples.

Step 3: Roll out pie crust and slice into 1/4 inch strips. I found the pre-made pie crust I used a bit plain tasting, so I added a sprinkling of sugar to it. Cover the top of the apple in a lattice pattern with pie crust strips.

Step 4: Place apples in a pan or baking dish. Add just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan/baking dish.

Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Remove foil and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sliced apples are soft. Be careful to not overcook as the apples will (and do) split at times.

Add a scoop of ice cream to it while warm and serve... yummm!!! These can also be put in the microwave for 30 - 45 seconds and then add ice cream.

3 comments:

doss said...

You are just TOO cool. Love it! :)

Name: Roberta said...

Glad you love it.. hope you try it out, let me know how it goes!!

Unknown said...

Such a cute idea!