Friday, December 21, 2012

St. Thomas the Apostle Feast Day - No Doubt!

Today is the feast day of Thomas, also called "Doubting Thomas", or Didymus, (meaning "Twin"), who is one of the twelve apostles of Jesus. Thomas was not with the others when Jesus came to them after his death and resurrection. The other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.”   (John 20:24-25).
This found object assemblage piece portrays Thomas coming face to face with Jesus later and seeing the wounds, and knowing Jesus IS the Lord, as told later in the Book of John 20:26 - 29:

"Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.” Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

God knows we all have doubts, and fears, but Jesus came to help dispel those things, and to show us that He is truly our Lord and our God!

No comments: