Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pentecost Plant Assemblages...


I'm not sure if you could call these assemblages ... but they are "creations" I did for work today. I work as the Parish Administrator for the Church we attend. This coming Sunday we celebrate the "birthday of the Christian Church", not just OUR Church, but all churches. It's Pentecost Sunday, 50 days after we celebrate Jesus' resurrection. If you'd like to read more about Pentecost go to the Book of Acts for more info.

Anyway, we celebrate this Holy Day in fun ways too. We have balloons and cake (because it's celebrated as the "birthday" of the Church). We have a dove release, (because the dove is often symbolic of the Holy Spirit), and at our Church, we send out flower bouquets to other Churches in our town as a sign of being One in the Holy Spirit, - One God, One Faith, etc. So today I went to find some plants to send to the churches. We usually give red carnations, but they just didn't seem to be enough to me, so I looked around at the various plants and flowers, and found some really cool plants. To me, they look like the "tongues of fire" mentioned in scripture. So I bought 12 of them for gifts to the area Churches. I delivered some of them today, and tomorrow Deb and I will deliver the rest.

We sometimes have 3 white "doves" (they are actually white homing pigeons), that we release at the end of the service outside as symbolic of the Holy Spirit, but this year we decided to have cut out doves and asked the parish members to write a note of encouragement or scripture passage on them. I attached the ribbons to them and on Sunday I'll be going into work/Church early to fill up 100 red helium balloons, at the end of the services we'll release the "doves". I hope to get some good photos of that on Sunday.

Soooo... now I'm home from work, and can "unpack" all my goodies I got from Good Will stores yesterday... more photos of that later...

No comments: