Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunday School - A Blessing

Our Church, like many small churches I have heard about, has a dwindling Sunday School and Youth Group. It can be discouraging at times. When I first started teaching Sunday School, back when my daughter was 3 years old (almost 23 years ago), we had 2 girls who participated, one was my daughter. Over the years, our Sunday School and then Youth Group (for 6th - 12th grades) grew ... over 20 in SS and at times over 25 in YG. Over the years, as kids grew up and graduated, and no new families came, our numbers went way down. We stopped Youth Group when only one student came, and it wasn't even every time. It was sad to do, but it's very difficult to ask for help from other adults when you aren't sure that any students will show up for Sunday School or Youth Group.

We have continued Sunday School, the classroom experience is only 2 weeks a month, with another one Sunday a time for adults and youth either during the church service or during the coffee and fellowship time. Some Sundays this year, I've had anywhere between 2 - 8 students. But, for me, it matters for THOSE who DO show up...and it has always been a blessing to me.

The last few classes have had more students coming... (Thank you Lord!), and today we made gifts for the Moms, since next Sunday is Mother's Day.

Anyway... my morning was blessed by my Sunday School Class, and I thank God for each of these precious, dear ones!

No comments: