Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Santa Hats formerly known as Bugle snacks...



How COOL is this idea!!

Take Bugle snacks, and make them into delicious, and fun, Christmas treats!

Here’s what you’ll need ...

Bugles (they make several varieties, all are good with this recipe)
Red Melting disks (red chocolate things ...Wilton makes them, I found them at Michael's)
Mini marshmallows
White sprinkles (nonpareils)..although I've seen them made with red and green sprinkles too.

Melt the red chocolate candy melts, along with a spoon of shortening (to help thin the melted candy), in 30 second intervals on low power, or melting power in your microwave until melted. (at the 30 second interval, stop, stir, restart until it's melted)... it may not take as long in some microwaves. It took about a minute and 10 seconds in mine.

Then start dipping. I put in 3 - 4 at a time, used a fork to take them out (letting them drip off a bit first).

Let them set up for 40 minutes or so on parchment or wax paper... some directions say to let them sit way shorter than this .. I actually think an hour or two is better.

When they are set, remelt the red candy chocolate stuff and dip just the bottoms of the Bugles (the large part of the Bugle) into the melted red chocolate, then into the white sprinkles. (easier if you put the sprinkles into a bowl)

Then flip it over and dip the top in the melted candy and press a mini marshmallow on top.... HELPFUL HINT: I found I messed up the bottom part when I tried to dip the top part ...so I took a toothpick, and dabbed a bit of the melted red chocolate onto the pointy top, then stuck on the mini marshmellow.

Set them back on the wax paper or parchment paper and TAHHH DAHHH... wonderful Santa Hats! I let them sit about 40 minutes before I moved them to a container where I lumped them all together to use in mixes or on cookie trays.

I saw this at the Pinterest site and HAD to try it out - I think they turned out great!




Here is a link that takes you to one place to find some of the same directions in making them ... BUT ALSO a yummy, sweet chex mix to add them to!


It's beginning to look a lot like ..... a big Christmas mess here! (LOL) ... time to clean up and get some sleep!

No comments: