Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Like A Bird In A Gilded Cage



This assemblage is hard to photograph in order to see all the details in it. I thought this vintage photo of the girl (on photo paper, glued to a wood cutout - double sided) went well with this theme, she looks a bit disgusted at her circumstances.


I mirrored the floor of the birdcage, found a cool rock that once had a metal unicorn on it, I swapped that for the rosary, which is also strung around the inside of the cage. There is a heart-shaped mirror on the one side that I added beaded fringe to and backed with material and buttons. Above the girl (who I also added some "jewels" to and some netting for her veil) hangs a cross made from crystals from an old lamp, I also added crystals hanging from the hearts around the sides of the birdcage.

I beaded the stool she sits on and made the pillow to match the material on the back of the heart shaped mirror. On the outside of the door of the cage is a metal number 2 with a crystal attached. The number signifies, to me, a second chance perhaps?

I also copied and edited some of the words to the old song Bird in a Gilded Cage which hangs on the wooden tag I made for it.

No comments: