Wednesday, April 25, 2007

LIVING STONES

"We are the body of Christ, not just a pile of bones; we are the body of Christ, a house of living stones." ~ Lyrics by Steven Eulberg "The Body of Christ" ~


"... in the sight of God chosen & precious, you yourselves, like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." ~ I Peter 2:4-5 ~

This assemblage probably is more sentimental to me than it would be to others. The green "roof" material are parts of the old metal shingles from the original roof of the church we belong to. The people on the stones are actual members of our church too. The symbolism in this piece with the bones under the church could represent that they were dry bones, but they are now "living stones" as the scripture and the song above state.

But they could also represent the remains of those who have gone before us...the community of saints, who, having left their "mortal shell", now are with God in heaven. The piece sits on a framed mirror that I've glued additional stones on... showing the many who have yet to be built into that spiritual house, as living stones... to be a part of the household of God.

Funny how my mind works...... the line to the Bob Dylan song keeps running through my head.... "Everybody must get stoned!" ...*heh heh*

1 comment:

Angie in AZ said...

Roberta,
I love all the latest work. I am putting together a class for my Women's Bible Study group which meets weekly. The class will run from Sept.-April. The class I'm putting together will be called :Art Expressions: co-creating with God. If you have time in the coming weeks, I'd love to hear about your process of creating with God. I'm very interested to learn how other artists create with God. What their process looks like, how the ideas come, how God speaks to them throughout the process, etc... If you would be willing to share, I'd be so grateful! Thanks! Oh, my e-mail address is: princessburninghair@cox.net