Sunday, April 15, 2012

Doubting Thomas ...

Believing, no doubts..thru the eyes of a child...

Sunday School was such a fun and blessed event today for me ... since the Gospel lesson featured Thomas, who is often called "doubting Thomas", I used the found object assemblage I had made of Thomas to start our discussions with the kids.   We read the gospel story, and discussed how artists often portray certain people and events in different ways... and I explained to them the ways I had portrayed this assemblage art box called "Thomas - Didymus", which means twin, showing them the mirrored Thomas (his twin), the nails that symbolized the nails that were used to nail Jesus to the cross... the hand of Jesus with the wound, dripping a heart shaped blood into the chalice (which we remember when we take Holy Communion from the chalice .. the blood of Christ, the cup of salvation).  I was amazed that they understood the symbolism of it, and happy that it may have helped them understand this passage more too!

It was fun to hear their questions, their doubts expressed, yet their faith and knowledge of past lessons, and teachings from their parents too no doubt.  Also fun as they looked at other art pieces around the room, and I answered questions about them (as best I could).

And to have them come running up to me after Church to ask to see the "screaming stones" we'd talked about in one of the art pieces in my office.  We went into the office, where they looked at various assemblages I have displayed on my shelves. 

To see thru the eyes of a child, as they ask questions, give comments, and offer their interpretation of things is so awesome!!  No wonder Jesus says, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."  (Matthew 19:14)

Thank You Lord for the blessing of these children!

No comments: